facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
How to File an Extension on Your 2018 Tax Return Thumbnail

How to File an Extension on Your 2018 Tax Return


A 60-second read by the Baron Team:  With  the filing due date fast approaching, you are probably in the process  of collecting all of your tax-related documents from the past year. Tax  returns must be submitted by April 15th this year.  If you  realize that you are going to need more time to compile information for  your tax return or haven’t received all of the documents you need, it  will be in your best interest to file a tax extension. This will extend  the due date up until October 15, 2019.

How to file a Paper Tax Extension:

To file an extension, you are going to need to fill out Form 4868 [Application  for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax  Return]. You can download the form and instructions from the IRS website.

With the form, you also need to send in at least 90% of your estimated tax liability due for the year. To pay by check, mail the form with the check together. Make the check out to United States Treasury.  On the memo line, write your Social Security Number, Form 4868, and the  tax year (2018). This way, they know that you are sending the check as  part of your extension.

When mailing in the tax extension,  it is highly recommended that you send it via certified mail or another  method that provides you with a tracking number. The envelope needs to  be postmarked by April 15th. Check the instructions portion of Form 4868 for the correct mailing address (it varies according to what state you reside in).

 To Prevent any Penalties:

  • Carefully read all instructions and follow all directions on Form 4868.
  • Correctly estimate your tax liability for the year and send in at least 90% of the amount due.

Miscellaneous tips:

  • It is possible to file your extension online. See the IRS website for more details.
  • If you ever feel unsure or concerned about the process, consult a Tax Professional to assist you.

For any other questions, contact the Baron Financial Group Team.

Disclosure:  This material is not intended to be relied upon as a forecast,  research, tax or investment advice.  Please consult your financial  planning and tax professional for personal advice.